The Department of Mathematics and Institute of Applied Mathematical Sciences at National Taiwan University
invite applications for several openings at the levels of tenure-track or non-tenure-track assistant, associate and full professors.
The positions begin from August 1, 2020 and are open for the research areas of
- pure mathematics, and
- computational and applied mathematics, probability and financial mathematics, statistical sciences, data science and others.
Candidates for professorships should have strong commitment to research and teaching. The applicants must be able to conduct high-quality teaching either in Mandarin or in English. Teaching in Mandarin is not required.
The annual salary will be 13.5 monthly salaries. For junior positions, the annual salary is composed of various resources, and could be up to 80k USD annual salary. This include the standard monthly salaries and possible stipends and benefits include but not exclusively the following:
- The prize for Departmental Junior Fellow for young scholars with great performance in research and teaching, which awards 13k to 40k USD annually in addition to salary for up to five years.
- Departmental Housing Stipend of 10k USD annually up to three years.
- University Stipend for new faculty: 15k to 30k USD annually up to three years.
- Grant stipend from government: 6k annually with a grant, outstanding candidates may also eligible to apply for special programs of the Ministry of Education and the Ministry of Science and Technology with extra stipend and grants. Detailed regulations can be found in our hiring webpage http://www.math.ntu.edu.tw/hiring
It is well known that compared with the living quality, the living expense in Taiwan is very low. The medical level in Taiwan is on the world leading level, while the medical expense & insurance system is well known affordable (https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/expat-health/11190870/Taiwan-tops-the-expat-health-care-charts.html. The national basic education in Taiwan is 12 years education, and the tuition of the public education is very affordable. The system produces creative students with high performance in the world, especially in mathematics and science. For candidates who cannot speak Mandarin, it is not a problem to live in Taiwan with English. A teaching load is up to 3 courses per year, and it may be reduced to 2 courses per year for the first 3 years.
Applicants are encouraged to identify a faculty member(s) of interest for collaboration in their cover letter. A detailed description of the department and information on specific faculty research programs are available on the department website at: http://www.math.ntu.edu.tw
Applicants for all positions please send a letter of application, an up-to-date curriculum vitae, recent publications, a research plan and three letters of recommendation to the email address:
or to the postal address:
Department of Mathematics
National Taiwan University
No. 1, Sec. 4, Roosevelt Road
Applicants please specify on the letter of application the position(s) they are applying for.
Those applications received by January 15, 2020 will be fully considered.
It is also encouraged to apply earlier for possible early process.
For more information please consult the website at http://www.math.ntu.edu.tw/hiring
Please check this pdf file for more detail about the grants from MOST and MOE